What is the Leave of Absence Policy?
The leave policy provides temporary assistance to AAA members facing changes in life circumstances. These changes may include medical conditions, compassionate or family circumstances, parental leave, extended unemployment, and pursuit of educational opportunities.
Who can apply for leave?
The Leave of Absence Policy applies to registered architects, licensed interior designers, intern architects, and intern interior designers.
What is not permitted in the leave policy?
- Seeking a leave to avoid payment and/or continuing education requirements.
- Applying for leave with an indefinite return date.
What are the approved leave times?
- General – up to one year – extensions up to one year to a maximum of 2 years of leave
- Parental – up to 18 months – extension up to one year to a maximum of 2.5 years of leave
What are the application requirements?
- Members are in good standing as defined in Section 7.14 of the Bylaws: All fees, dues costs, or levies are paid in full. The Shareholders, owners, officers, and directors of corporate entities and firms remain in compliance with the requirements established in the Act and general regulations. Members comply and are up to date with the mandatory continuing education program. There are no outstanding suspensions under an Order of the Complaint Review committee or by Council
- Applications may be made for general and parental leave. The leave types may not exceed 2 years for general leave (including approved extensions) and 2.5. years for parental leave (including approval extensions).
- One leave type is considered per application. If applicants apply for unemployment leave and parental leave, they must submit a separate application for each leave type.
- Approved leave under the policy can be granted for a maximum of three times within ten years.
Who approves leave requests?
The registration administrators will initially review all leave applications. The Registrar has the authority to approve leave applications. The Registrar may also require supporting documentation when evaluating leave applications and extension requests.
If the Registrar denies a leave request, an applicant has the right to appeal this decision to Council. The member will remain active until the Registrar approves the leave request or the Council determines their appeal.
What happens to my registered architect/licensed interior design firm if I’m on approved leave?
Registered members on temporary leave solely responsible for registered practice arrangements must alter or cancel their registered firm or corporation.
All members on leave must update their practice status and arrangement to reflect temporary absences approved and sanctioned by the Registrar accurately. The member must make changes to the website, letterhead and promotional materials accessible by clients and the public.
To discuss registration options and the requirements of a supervision plan, please contact:
Do I need to complete my professional development hours when I’m on leave?
Members approved for unemployment leave must complete professional development requirements. This requirement applies to registered architects, licensed interior designers, intern architects 7, and intern interior designers 7 on unemployment leave.
Members approved for all other leave types are encouraged (but not required) to complete professional development requirements.
As a registered architect or licensed interior designer approved for leave, do I need to return my individual and company seal and certificates?
Registered members on leave can retain their emblems of registration (certificates and seals).
Do I need to amend my designations?
All members approved for leave are not permitted to continue to practice architecture, interior design or log practical hours in the internship programs while on leave.
They must also represent to the public that they are on temporary leave and no longer engaging as professionals or working under the supervision of a registered member.
What happens to the dues I paid while I’m on leave?
The dues are credited back to the member based on the leave period. For more information about the amounts assessed by period, send an email to the registration administrators.