This mandatory online course will provide a review of building science principles and best practices for successful building envelope design. The course features presentations by Dr. John Straube, Mark Chambers and Robert Passmore.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Improve the ability of architects to competently and effectively design appropriate building envelopes.
- Improve the ability of architects to understand their responsibilities and limitations regarding the provision of design, detailing, specification and field review services for building envelopes.
- Improve the ability of architects to utilize good building envelope practices and recognize sources for ongoing technical support.
- Understand the National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB) 2011 as it relates the building envelope.
- This course is mandatory for all of the AAA’s Registered Architects (RAs) and Restricted Practitioners (RPs), including members with a Primary Jurisdiction outside Alberta.
- The course is comprised of 11 modules, which include videos and corresponding quizzes.
- Included with the course are supplemental PDFs containing additional reference material (also available for purchase as a physical book).
- A minimum pass rate of 80% is required on all modules.
- Members will earn 7.0 Structured LHs upon successful completion of the course. The Building Envelope course is approved for 7.0 AIA LUs/HSW.
- Members will have 90 days from the date they purchased the online course to access the online course material.
- The deadline for completion of the course is June 30, 2020.
- Member rate: $275.00 + GST.
- Discounted member rate: $100.00 + GST.
- Note: The discounted member rate is only available to those members who have previously completed the in-person, classroom version of the AAA's Building Envelope Course. The discount will be applied at the time of purchase.
- Non-member rate: $350.00 + GST (non-members are required to create an account on our login page).
- An optional Building Envelope Course book containing supplemental reference material is also available to purchase for $55 + GST.
Cancellation and refund policy:
Questions? View our BEC FAQ
Architects Act, General Regulation & Bylaws Course
The purpose of this course is to permit members an opportunity to familiarize themselves with the major topics of the legislation which governs the activities of all Registered Architects, Licensed Interior Designers and Restricted Practitioners in Alberta. While this course is not meant to be a replacement for a thorough reading of the Act
, General Regulations and Bylaws, it is meant to provide an overview of the fundamental parts of the legislation.
- New members joining the AAA during the first year of the two-year PD reporting period are required to complete this course by June 30 of the first year of that reporting period.
Example: If you register between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019, your Architects Act Course completion deadline is June 30, 2019.
- New members joining the AAA during the second year of the two-year reporting period are required to complete this course by June 30 of that reporting period.
Example: If you register between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020, your Architects Act Course completion deadline is June 30, 2020.
- Members are required to complete the online course material and questions accompanying each chapter. A copy of the answers to the course questions must be retained for a period of 2 years in the event that the member’s PD file is audited. The Architects Act declaration form must be submitted following completion of the course. The AAA will update your transcript and record 8 structured LHs.