AAA Members can self-report their learning activities online by using the AAA's Online Reporting tool
Member transcripts will be updated automatically for all AAA events and for AAA Registered Course Provider events where the confirmation of attendance has been provided to the AAA. Please allow approximately two weeks for your transcript to be updated online.
If you have any questions regarding the Online Reporting tool
or the Professional Development Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In consideration of the impact of the COVID-19 virus, the AAA is extending the current PD reporting period until December 31, 2020*.
The implications of this change are as follows:
- Members have until December 31, 2020 to complete their PD requirements for the 2018-2020 reporting period.
- Members who have completed their PD requirements can continue to accrue learning hours as the cap on carryover hours is removed.
- Members have until December 31, 2020 to complete our mandatory courses, including the Building Envelope Course.
- Out-of-province members have until December 31, 2020 to complete their online PD declaration and the mandatory courses.
- The 2020-2022 reporting period is shortened to 18 months, that is, January 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022.
The Professional Development (PD) Program is in place to ensure AAA members who have exclusive statutory rights of practice, are able to respond to professional obligations to clients, the public and the profession. This program ensures that members remain current with the technologies, business practices and methods of their profession. The Architects Act and General Regulation requires members of the AAA to participate in and comply with the PD Program.
This mandatory program applies to all Registered Architects (RAs), Licensed Interior Designers (LIDs), Restricted Practitioners (RPs), and all Intern Architects (IAs) and Intern Interior Designers (IIDs) who have completed seven years or more in the applicable Internship Program.
Reporting Period and PD Requirements
The PD Program is based on a 24-month cycle, beginning July 1, 2018 and ending June 30, 2020. Members are required to complete and report 70 learning hours (LHs) by December 31, 2020*
. Learning activities must be recorded in the reporting period in which they were earned. Learning activities are categorized as either structured or unstructured.
*Due to the COVID-19 situation, the PD Reporting date has been extended.
Newly registered RAs and LIDs should consult the points below to determine the proportion of LHs they are required to earn in relation to their join date.
- For join dates between July 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018, members are required to complete 100% of the compulsory LHs by the reporting period deadline (70 LHs, with a minimum of 35 structured LHs).
- For join dates between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019, members are required to complete 50% of the compulsory LHs by the reporting period deadline (35 LHs, with a minimum of 18 structured LHs) and will be required to complete the full PD requirements during the next two-year reporting period.
- For join dates between January 1, 2020 and June 30, 2020, members are not required to complete any PD activities for that reporting period. Members will be required to fulfill the full amount of PD LHs for the next two-year reporting period.
Newly registered architects are required to complete the mandatory Architects Act Course and Building Envelope Course.
Newly licensed interior designers are required to complete the mandatory Architects Act Course. Refer to the Mandatory Course
page for further details.