Does Your Project Need a Professional?
The Alberta Architects Act
determines that a Registered Architect (RA) or a Licensed Interior Designer (LID) is required for the following:
- Any residential building occupancy consisting of five dwelling units or more.
- Note that a single family dwelling, duplex, triplex or quadriplex of any size does not require a RA or LID.
- Buildings or interior work to buildings for public assembly.
- Such as churches or community halls, schools, all institutional uses, warehouses and industrial uses, business and personal services, mercantile and other residential occupancies such as motels and hotels that exceed allowable area exemptions (300 – 500 square meters).
- Renovations to buildings or building interiors that originally required a RA or LID.
For more information including acceptable area exemptions, please refer to our Practice Bulletin PB-26 Professional Involvement on Building Projects
If in doubt, please contact the AAA at 780-432-0224.