Due to the current environment, all intern interviews have been postponed until further notice. We urge all interns to continue logging their hours if possible.
Intern Interior Designer Program
The Intern Interior Designer Program (IIDP) is a comprehensive internship program intended to instill the integrity, judgment, and skills necessary for a successful career as a Licensed Interior Designer (LID).
To become an Intern Interior Designer (IID), an individual must have:
To successfully navigate the IIDP, Interns must achieve:
- 3,520 hours of approved work experience recorded in the IIDP Logbook and endorsed by the IID’s supervisor (employer) and mentor*,
- Certification from the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (CIDQ) via successful completion of the National CIDQ exams (NCIDQ) (Visit the NCIDQ website for details on how to register for the exams. Applicants who have successfully completed the NCIDQ exam, must include the NCIDQ Certificate with their application for membership as a LID.),
- Completion of two mandatory courses in the third year of the program - an approved Alberta Building Code course, and the Architects Act, General Regulation and Bylaws course,
- Registration in the IIDP for a minimum of 3 years**, and
- Successful oral interview with the AAA Registration Committee.
The Road Map to Registration provides a visual representation of the above steps and anticipated timelines required to become a Licensed Interior Designer with the AAA.
If you have any questions about the IIDP or application requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* IIDs are responsible for arranging their own supervisor and mentor relationship.
**All IIDs who have not completed the IIDP after five years will be reclassified as IID5s and assessed annual dues for the same amount as registered/licensed members for the current year and every year thereafter.
All IID5s who have not completed the IIDP after seven years from commencement will be reclassified as IID7s and required to participate in the AAA’s Professional Development Program